Friday, January 4, 2008

Raw in Ft Greene

Haven’t been writing much recently . . . some of it’s not wanting to confront my feelings. Some of it is getting distracted with other things. But I miss it! I miss blogging, of addressing my raw-ness on paper (or screen).

I’m loving loving loving my new apartment. It was truly a gift from the universe, to find a rent-stabilized one bedroom on a beautiful block in Ft. Greene. I have to say, I was manifesting quite a bit about it. I would tell anyone who would listen where I wanted to live, how much I wanted to pay, and how big the place would be. And lo and behold, exactly 32 days after I returned to NY, I moved into my new place.

I had no idea how green this neighborhood is! I liked it because of the gorgeous architecture, the million of subway lines nearby, the cute restaurants, BAM, proximity to Manhattan. And yet I’m finding more and more reasons!

1. Compost! There’s a community compost project at the Farmer’s Market in Ft Greene park every Saturday. I drop off my compost in one of the bins by the entrance to the park, and volunteers send the compost up to a local farm. So awesome. The last time I had the opportunity to compost was in college, and it was about the last thing on my list of things to do. I am grateful to be able to do it again.
2. Urban Spring! A café on the corner of Dekalb and Clermont that serves local, sustainable, organic food. Some raw stuff, and delicious juices and smoothies – I had the best best arugula/pear juice.
3. The Hill! A four-times-year newspaper about green Ft Greene / Clinton Hill. That’s where I learned about the compost project, and have found so many other things in there that make me love this neighborhood more and more every day. Like composting public toilets! And the person-powered smoothie machine at Habana Outpost!

One love,
Marissa

No comments: