Sunday, January 20, 2008

Raw in the Cayman Islands

Oh, the burden of lounging by the beach in bright sun and 85-degree weather. Particularly when it’s 20 degrees in NY. I haven’t traveled much or far since I returned from Europe, and haven’t had to face the raw food challenges of being away from familiarity since then.

When I was first here, about 9 months ago, I assumed that tropical weather = indigenous tropical fruits and vegetables. What I quickly found out was that 90% of the food here is imported, mostly due to lack of available appropriate farming land on the island. The major food crop here is mango, but they’re harvested from June – September, so I’m a bit late.

Prepared with that information, I packed a few things – organic tangelos, apples and lemons, nori, sundried tomatoes, and tea. And a juicer. I haven’t found a health food store here, and the major supermarket, Fosters, doesn’t have much in the way of organic produce. We went grocery shopping the first night we were here, and I got 4 bunches of greens (3 lettuces and 1 watercress – the variety is not outstanding), a couple of bunches of bananas, an avocado, 2 bunches celery, a cucumbers and green peppers. And it’s been working out pretty well. Green smoothies for breakfast, juice and nori wraps for lunch, and salads for dinner (usually out at a restaurant).

As far as restaurants here . . . they’re ok. Probably great for a non-raw or non-veg person. Lots of fresh fish. But I’ve been getting pissed off every time I’m out to eat. We’ve been to The Reef (on Seven Mile Beach), Cimboco’s (next to movie theatre), and Periwinkle (at the Ritz). Of the three, my salad at Cimboco’s has been the best – dark greens, dressing on the side, really fresh tasting. The other 2 were uninspired and filled with really light greens and un-lovely crunchy vegetables. And all 3 nights I’d look at the salads on the menu, get annoyed, and start fantasizing about the non-raw entrees . . . fish, pasta, and all that. And then I would look at the bread basket and get even more annoyed. It took quite a bit of deep breathing and praying to remind myself that eating raw is something that I am choosing, for me, because it makes me feel better. No one is forcing me to do it, so the only person to get annoyed at is myself.

Right now, I usually eat about 4 non-raw meals per week. So, within the boundaries of my raw-ness, I certainly could eat off a cooked menu. But for a few reasons, I’m not. The big one is that I usually feel bloated and gross after eating something cooked, and spending hours per day in a bathing suit is challenging enough without feeling bloated. Also, I don’t want to “waste” my cooked food experiences on something that is likely greasy and not so yummy anyway. I’m really wanting to be 100% raw, but don’t quite have the willingness yet. So I’m trying to look at this as a positive opportunity.

The other challenge that I’m facing is sharing a kitchen with other people. There are things in the cupboards that I don’t have around anymore, things that I used to binge on. Chips, cookies, bread, cheese, all that. It was a bit of a shock, actually, and while I should have emotionally prepared myself for it, I hadn’t. And it’s actually made me pretty resentful.

Just writing this, I’m realizing that I’m pretty pissed off for someone on a tropical vacation. What a waste of time. So I’m committing to noting these angry feelings, and then making a mental list of things that I’m grateful for this very moment. Right now, they are:
1. Free wireless internet on the balcony
2. The blender that came in this condo
3. I’m reading Victoria Boutenko’s “12 Steps to Overcoming Your Addiction to Cooked Foods”
4. I’m outside and not wearing shoes
5. When I look up from my computer screen I see the pacific ocean
6. I have an awesome family

One love,
Marissa

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I am such a fan of your attitude, right on.

Refusal to be negative - is that really so hard or too much to ask for? I am also digesting a recently over relationship wherein the problem was in fact his refusal to simply be happy, regardless of the shit (which wasn't that shitty, to be honest).

So thank you, I am not crazy, that's possible.