Saturday, December 1, 2007

On the go

As much as I may want to, it’s just not possible to eat at home every meal of the day. Behold, an incomplete list of the places that keep me raw throughout the day:

Healthy Nibbles Organic Lounge and Juice Bar – 305 Flatbush Ave, Brooklyn (Park Slope)
Inexpensive, charming café with amazing juices and yummy salads

Second Helpings – 9th Street between 7th and 8th Ave, Brooklyn (Park Slope)
My go-to place for delicious food and juice, not all raw but a great compromise when dining with enlightened, non-raw companions

Lodge Outpost – Havemeyer at Grand Street, Brooklyn (Williamsburg)
Next to the cozy bar/restaurant Lodge, they have raw smoothies (Freckle Juice is my favorite) and organic tea. Plus, my brother is a bartender next door.

Siggy’s – Henry Street between Orange and Pineapple, Brooklyn (Brooklyn Heights)
Organic, with lots of live food (they even note on the menu exactly what is live), and they make my favorite smoothie right now, with Goji berries, pomegranate juice, raspberries, blueberries and banana

Pure Food and Takeaway – 17th Street at Irving, Manhattan
Can’t beat them. The S&M salad is my favorite dinner these days, and their juices are uniformly amazing. On the expensive side, but perfect for a treat

Juicy Lucy’s Fresh Mixed Juice Outpost – Northeast corner of 1st Street and 1st Ave
Little kiosk that would typically sell coffee and pastries, but no! They sell fresh juice! Reasonably priced ($3.50 for 12oz), and right by the subway. There’s a proper store front at 85 Avenue A between 5th and 6th

Liquiteria – 2nd Avenue at 10th Street
I put this on because it’s so well known, and good in a pinch. But personally, I don’t love it there. I think that it’s on the gimmicky side, and that the menu isn’t inspired. An exception, though, was an apple/pineapple/mint/wheatgrass juice that I had a few weeks ago that was pretty exciting.

Bonobo’s – 18 E 23rd, between Broadway and Park
Not a lot of ambiance, but all raw food and the only place that I know of that has durian on the menu.

Integral Natural Foods – 13th Street betw Greenwich and 7th Ave
Has a juice bar, a good selection of prepared raw foods, and is next to Integral Yoga.

One love,
Marissa

No comments: